[buug] Free BSD on a Dell Latitude LM Laptop

Mark Handley mjh at icir.org
Tue Apr 9 20:46:37 PDT 2002

>I have a dell Latitude LM and want to install FreeBSD 4.4 on
>it. I have the 2 floppies to set up the retrieve from the
>FreeBSD site. I have a linksys PCMCIA external card to
>connect to my LAN and connect to the network. The FreeBsd
>book says to specify card0 as well as  the settings of the
>linksys PCMCIA nic card. These are io=0x300 irq=11 I am not
>sure of how to
>setup card0.
>
>When I try to set the kernel section and then go to the
>installer I get a warning about the 11 irq may be a problem.
>But I can't get the eth0 ( which is what linksys says is
>NE2000 compatible setting  to show up in the "go to" for
>installing the nic and loading the FreeBSD from the network.

eth0 is a Linuxism.  You probably want ed0 for an NE2000 clone on
FreeBSD.

I've always had good luck installing FreeBSD using Linksys PCMCIA
NE2000 clone cards - you can probably use all the default settings
rather than worrying about tuning anything.

But I'd definitely install FreeBSD 4.5 (preferably 4.5-STABLE) rather
than 4.4 - there have been quite a few security fixes for most
open-source OSes in the past year, and the later the release the
better.

Cheers,
	Mark