[buug] reload dns

johnd john at jjdev.com
Thu Apr 11 23:30:25 PDT 2002

On Thu, Apr 11, 2002 at 04:53:08PM -0800, VB wrote:
> I reconfigured my dns and would like to force the box to use it instead of
> the old dns.  I would like to do so without rebooting.  Will taking down the
> interface with ifconfig and then bringing it back up do the trick, or is
> there another/better way?

what nameserver do you use?  I will assume BIND

if you are using bind...

according to the man page:
-------------------------------------
SIGNALS
       In  routine  operation, signals should not be used to con-
       trol the nameserver; rndc should be used instead.

       SIGHUP Force a reload of the server.

if you signal the process with a SIGHUP it will reload.  No need to stop
or start anything

I usually type:

killall -HUP named

on Linux with bind9