[buug] Setting up Debian

Will Sargent will_sargent at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 27 01:44:33 PDT 2002

Hi y'all,

For the longest time I couldn't get Debian installed without wierd network
errors and segfaults all over the floor.  I traced it down to a bad memory
card, and the whole thing worked without a hitch.  So...

Now that I have it set up, there's a few things I want to do to it which I'm
still not sure exactly how to do.  I got past the initial hump of installing
an NVIDIA driver and recompiling the kernel with the special debian command,
but I'm still hazy on how X and apt-get works.

As I understand it, apt-get will do an update against whatever I put in
source.list.  I initially installed everything using unstable (woody) before
I realized that secured packages were only guaranteed against stable
(potato) versions.  So I changed the source and did an update... and nothing
happened.  How can I revert debian back to the potato packages using
apt-get?

The second question could be debian's security showing through, or just my
lack of knowledge.  I want to be able to use Cygwin X on my W2K box to look
at the server.  As I understand it, this means I have to execute a remote
session, preferably using SSH.

I can get sort of the way there by starting up an X client on cygwin using
'startx' and then 'ssh -X -l wsargent 192.168.1.100' in an xterm and then
going through various incantations... but I still end up with boring twm on
cygwin.  How do I see Gnome on my W2K terminal?

Will.