[buug] Setting up Debian

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Apr 28 13:09:56 PDT 2002

Quoting Nick Moffitt (nick at zork.net):

> There may be a --downgrade function to apt-get.

No, sorry.  I have notes somewhere on what you have to do, but will have
to find them.

> The reason for this is that it's the unstable branch, but with
> a remarkably effective two-week quarantine.

The heuristic has become more complex than that, but no less effective:
http://people.debian.org/~jules/testingfaq.html

> Because of this, too, you'll find that the bug fixes for
> security problems tend to hit testing about the same time as the
> potato updates.

There's actually a minor potential security exposure in woody on account
of the mechanism for releasing packages from unstable.  This was the
subject of some discussion on debian-devel, some months back, involving
the possibility of the security team rushing out packages in some cases
for woody in addition to potato.  But they decided the need would be too
rare to justify that extra work.

--
May those that love us love us; and those that don't love us, may
God turn their hearts; and if he doesn't turn their hearts, may