[buug] `stty 0`

Bob Read unixjavabob at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 1 13:10:55 PDT 2002

 From man stty:

     0         Hang up line immediately.

Back in the day, it was common to use "stty" in
conjunction with other tools such as "cu" or "kermit"
to control the behaviour on either end of modem
connections.  I have semi-memories of controlling
modem IO by redirecting stdout and stdin to the
modem's terminal...In fact, I think you can redirect
an "stty 0" to hang up someone else's connection.

That said, these days, stty is rarely used beyond
trivial tasks such as defining your backspace
character.

Bob

--- Mark Hedges <hedges at ucsd.edu> wrote:

> I got a login fortune that says "Try stty 0 -- it
> works much
> better."  I figure this is some kind of prank, but
> all it says
> is "unable to perform all requested operations."
> Does anyone
> recall what the joke was?  Just curious.
> --mark--

=====
Bob Read
Senior Unix Administrator/DBA/Programmer
cell (510)-703-1634
unixjavabob at yahoo.com