[buug] AT&T Cable Modem?

DiCioccio, Jason jdicioccio at epylon.com
Tue Aug 6 10:16:59 PDT 2002

I'll second the megapath recommendation.  I recently switched to them
from XO (who wasn't too bad either).  I have 8 IPs with megapath,
reverse dns delegated to me, and I get very nice transfer rates (I
always have my full 4M avail to me it seems).  I had a problem recently
with my router and I called megapath support to help me in diagnosing
it.  I didn't know it was my router at the time, but I was dropping
packets in large spikes (so, let's say dropping packets for 30 seconds
a clip every few minutes).  He helped me diagnose it by checking my ATM
connection while I was dropping packets, and running mtr's etc.  He
finally figured out that when he sent a packet to an IP on my block
that was not in use, my DSL router (SpeedStream 5660) would freak out
and just completely drop the lan segment until a few seconds after the
traffic stopped.  It was quite a strange problem :).. Anyway, I found
out it was because when I had upgraded my firmware, the configuration
didn't seem to upgrade quite as nicely.  I reconfigured the router from
scratch and it worked.

Here's my favorite part though, and I don't even know if he was
supposed to do this, but.. I told him that I really didn't feel like
dealing with my router because it was a piece of crap that I bought a
while ago, and seemingly impossible to secure due to the way it's
firewalling works (when you block a port to the router's ip, it blocks
that port for every machine behind it).  I asked if he could just
switch me to bridging and let me handle my own routing with one of my
bsd boxen.  He switched it over in a few seconds, and now I have my
alpha routing the traffic between the 3 segments (Ex-WAN IP on DSL
Router, Public IP Block, and Private segment) using 802.1Q trunking and
all that good stuff.

Anyway, I had talked to people there before him regarding the same
problem and although we didn't figure it out, they were still very
helpful.  I have had good luck with their support and their service..
I checked out rawbandwidth but they had a pretty low soft bandwidth
limit that I didn't want to worry about, but they looked nice too :)..

Anyway, I would recommend megapath.

Cheers,
- -JD-