[buug] [awolf at newhope.terraplex.com: [Buug-admin] Yellow Dog Linux CDs for your LInux User Group]

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Aug 6 14:45:25 PDT 2002

Quoting Jon McClintock (jammer at weak.org):

> Anyone interested?

I rate this two cheers out of a possible three (though one certainly
should not look a gift horse in the mouth).  Let me explain:

They appear to be talking about just a bunch of YDL 2.1 CD-ROMs.  It's
generous of them to offer those, but one should be clear on what they're
offering:

The full YDL product is _two_ CD-ROMs (install CD + "tasty morsels" CD)
in a boxed set with printed documentation and other sweeteners.  V. 2.1
is a couple of years out of date, having been replaced by 2.2 and now
2.3.  It's a Red Hat derivative, so options for incrementally upgrading
it to current versions _may_ be limited (he says, risking religious
warfare).  In recent versions, the install CD has been publicly
available as an ISO9660 image, while the "tasty morsels" disk has been
reserved to purchasers of the boxed set.  I suspect that what TerraSoft
is offering to Mac user groups is the install CD only, in a sleeve.

People interested in YDL _may_ be interested in downloading the v. 2.3
ISO, instead of taking up TerraSoft on their (generous) offer.  Or buy a
$2-3 copy from the likes of LSL.  (LSL and CheapBytes haven't yet caught
up with the recent 2.3 release, but they're offering 2.2, now.)

I do recommend YDL.  And it is a generous offer.

--
This message falsely claims to have been scanned for viruses with F-Secure
Anti-Virus for Microsoft Exchange and to have been found clean.