[buug] Unix Performance Monitoring and Statistics

Bob Read unixjavabob at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 6 17:29:39 PDT 2002

Hello,
   I need to record both up-to-date stats and a stats
history (going back at least 1 year) for several unix
machines on AIX and solaris.
   The stats I need are simple stats: disk space
used/available, memory used/available, top
processes...you get the idea.
   I have two choices:

1)  archive the output of tools like top, sar, iostat,
mpstat, blah, blah, then whip up an HTML front-end
from these outputs if I need reports for management.

2)  download and install a tool that will do all or
part of #1 for me...

   I am fully prepared to do #1...but #2 is new ground
and therefore more exciting...I was on freshmeat
today, and I noticed these apps:

This one looks awesome:

http://freshmeat.net/projects/sysorb/?topic_id=152%2C148

this one sounds cool...but no GUI:

http://freshmeat.net/projects/atsar/?topic_id=148%2C862%2C152%2C253

   Anyone have opinions on either of these or another?

Thanks,
Bob

=====
Bob Read
Senior Unix Administrator/DBA/Programmer
cell (510)-703-1634
unixjavabob at yahoo.com