Debian vs FreeBSD (was Re: Re: [buug] cockroaches and kernel build)

Patrick Soltani psoltani at ultradns.com
Wed Aug 7 17:05:04 PDT 2002

FreeBSD gives you everything in a simple and plain format.  You can get it colored, sliced and diced however involves a bit of getting technical and digging deep; I guess that's what frustrates the new users even with good experience with other Unices.

I work with Solaris, Linux, Ultrix, and any other flavor of the OS out there, however, when I go home, my only solace is that my FreeBSD box will up and running and never ever complains even when I tell it to do stupid things. Ok..ok, sometimes it does!

I am sure there is a lot of room for improvement, however, just remember that any flavor of tcp/ip stack you see out there, in one way or the other is borrowed, copied, or taken from BSD.

ports tree alone is worth the hassle of setting it up and going thru the learning curve; that's just my $0.02, I may be biased ;-)

Regards,
Patrick Soltani.