Debian vs FreeBSD (was Re: Re: [buug] cockroaches and kernel build)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Aug 7 23:08:08 PDT 2002

Quoting Patrick Soltani (psoltani at ultradns.com):

> FreeBSD is not for the faint of hearts, check out the 4.6 and the
> upcoming 5.0.

There were some problems with 4.6, so people would be well advised to
load 4.6.1rc2, instead.  The ISO is on ftp sites, e.g., at
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ISO-IMAGES-i386

> Oh btw, MacOS X is based on the FreeBSD if I am not mistaken....

Not exactly.  FreeBSD is now the reference BSD platform for OS X
development.  However, it's more exact to say that it's a direct
offshoot of NeXTStep, which in turn was an early CSRG BSD offshoot
(4.2BSD? can't remember, but I'm sure some detail freak will hasten
to post its exact lineage).

--
Cheers,   "Why is the alphabet in that order?  Is it because of that song?"
Rick Moen                                              -- Steven Wright
rick at linuxmafia.com