[buug] cockroaches and kernel build

f.johan.beisser jan at caustic.org
Thu Aug 8 13:41:06 PDT 2002

On Thu, 8 Aug 2002, Mark Hedges wrote:

> Anyone know of any plans for apt-get on OpenBSD?

i'm not sure why you'd do this for the main sources. on of the advantages
most BSDs provide is the "world" option, building everything from scratch
for a full upgrade.

with openbsd, of course, you can't just sectionalise everything. well, you
could, but it would make things somewhat unstable. the snapshots are
provided for some of this support, doing rebuilds several times a month,
usually.

> After playing with FreeBSD, Slackware and Debian, I seem to like
> Debian the best because it seems the most full-featured (more
> packages preconfigured than for slackware?) and I don't get
> crappy linker errors like in slackware trying to resolve
> dependencies compiling stuff from source tarballs.  Although, I
> still can't get the updating planetbg to stick in the root
> window when I log out.

as freebsd's ports system has slowly bloated and created situations where
you don't have a choice BUT to use GNOME or KDE for many of the packages
(just because i want to build GAIM does not mean i want all of GNOME to go
with it..) or have it included anyway.

i'm not sure how different apt-get is from the FreeBSD ports system (or
the OpenBSD variant of it). anything that makes handling ports, library
versions and such easier can't be all bad.

  http://caustic.org/~jan                      jan at caustic.org
    "John Ashcroft is really just the reanimated corpse
         of J. Edgar Hoover." -- Tim Triche