[buug] cockroaches and kernel build

f.johan.beisser jan at caustic.org
Thu Aug 8 14:49:21 PDT 2002

On Thu, 8 Aug 2002, Mark Hedges wrote:

> You know, I probably just didn't play with ports enough to know.
> Thanks for the info.

the ports system is what got me to stop using Linux many years ago.

for more info, check out:

	http://www.freebsd.org/ports/
	http://www.openbsd.org/ports.html

essentially, they provide a clean system for building and handling
anything outside of the base OS. it should, hopefully, build all
dependancies (for example, if you build xv, it should build jpeg, gif, and
tiff libraries for you).

if you're keeping up with -stable (in freebsd)  just about everything
should "just work." the only real issue is that the ports collection is
very large, consuming a fair amount of disk space.

	jan at freebsd > du -h /usr/ports
	[massive scroll]
	248M	/usr/ports

occasionally cleaning out /usr/ports/distfiles helps reduce the bloat. of
course, if you only grab what you need.. that'll help aswell.

kind of an attractive feature, overall.

  http://caustic.org/~jan                      jan at caustic.org
    "John Ashcroft is really just the reanimated corpse
         of J. Edgar Hoover." -- Tim Triche