[buug] cockroaches and kernel build

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sat Aug 10 10:30:27 PDT 2002

Quoting Mark Hedges (hedges at ucsd.edu):

> I'm sorry to say this is some of the worst advice I've run into.
> "testing" appears to be "unstable."

I've been running the Debian-testing branch on both desktop and
non-desktop machines (at first, just test machines) since shortly after
that branch was introduced in December 2000.  Without problems I can
recall.  And I did so only after consultation with other admins of large
collections of machines, to compare notes.

> I did dist-upgrade after adding the testing directories...

The foregoing is more than a little vague.  How big a version jump were
you attempting?

I did _not_ say that you can directly jump from, say, an elderly,
unmaintained 2.2/potato installation to post-3.0/sarge, and from XFree86
3.3.6 to XFree86 4.1, without problems.  In fact, in the message you
objected to, I didn't address version jumps at all.  All I did was
characterise the three Debian development tracks -- correctly.

I'm sorry to hear about your problem, whatever it was.  Alas, I wasn't
around to suggest how to avoid creating it.

--
Cheers,                              Linux: Good, fast, AND cheap.
Rick Moen
rick at linuxmafia.com