[buug] Hello, I'm new.

f.johan.beisser jan at caustic.org
Mon Aug 12 22:37:53 PDT 2002

On Mon, 12 Aug 2002, Bonkers the Evil Admin (Matt Bockman) wrote:

> I'm new to this UUG.... I've been wanting to get into a lot of Unix or
> Linux based groups so I can learn lots. I'm in SDLUG and this, so I hope
> to learn a lot. I host my own mandrake server which seems pathetic, I
> want to change it to Unix, or change the Linux distro, I don't like RPMs
> very much.

RPMs are kludgy. good for package management, but not much more than that.

Mandrake's not a bad version of linux, really. one of the better
installers out there from what i understand. the more technical people
seem to have a debate between Slackware and Debian.

i tend to push people to either FreeBSD or OpenBSD, depending on what
people want from the OS.

> Anyway, I was just wondering what the main diffrences were between Unix
> and Linux?

UNIX is a trademark, held by someone on high. it's also a certification
standard, which costs much money to gain.
Linux is the kernel used in several UNIX clones. GNU/Linux is the
UNIX-like toolset for handling the Linux Kernel.
the various BSDs are UNIX-like OSs, built off of the BSD 4.4-Lite code.

other than that, there's not much of a difference, except by flavour and
project goals (for the Free OSs..) and intent by the company (for things
like UNICOS, Solaris/SunOS, IRIX and such).

  http://caustic.org/~jan                      jan at caustic.org
    "John Ashcroft is really just the reanimated corpse
         of J. Edgar Hoover." -- Tim Triche