[buug] Hello, I'm new.

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Aug 12 23:11:15 PDT 2002

Quoting Bonkers the Evil Admin (Matt Bockman) (bonkers at thetechbox.com):

> Umm... Well... My friend says that the only operating system thats worth
> installing for a server is FreeBSD.

All God's chillun' got opinions.

> He's attached to it, yet he's never installed or used any *nix-like
> OS's.

There's a kind of purity to that mindset.  It should be protected.  If
necessary, in a wildlife preserve for antique mentalities in danger of
contamination.

> I think I want to make my own Linux (via LFS) and use that.

You could do that.  It'd probably be lots of fun.

> Which is most effective for a server that hosts 1 email account and 1
> website that gets 100 hits a month?

_Mu._  http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/jargon/html/entry/mu.html  (The
question cannot be reasonably answered as stated.)

It (obviously) depends on your criteria, and on what your understanding
of the word "effective" is -- and is probably debatable entirely aside
from those considerations.

> Oh, and I run SSH. I just wanna host a good server with a
> perfect or almost perfect uptime, and I want it to be secure so I
> protect its one user.

If you want "perfect or almost perfect uptime", you should worry more
about quality of hardware and about redundant, battery-backed power
supplies than about choice of *ix.

So, I have to wonder:  Are you just trying to stir up debates, or what?

--
Cheers,   "This is mad, egotistical, sick, twisted, and stretches the bounds of
Rick Moen   good taste right off the tongue, past the uvula, and down around