[buug] Hello, I'm new.

f.johan.beisser jan at caustic.org
Tue Aug 13 00:34:55 PDT 2002

On Tue, 13 Aug 2002, Rick Moen wrote:

> Apple's really rather obnoxious about that.  For something allegedly
> open source, you're really made to go through the Cupertino Inquisition,
> just to get a copy.  They want you to "register" for a "developer ID"
> before they'll send the ISO image.  But you can use
> username=cipherpunks, password=cipherpunks, and the current x86 and PPC
> ISOs are at http://www.opensource.apple.com/projects/darwin/1.4/release/

somehow, i'm not surprised. i may have access to a PPC box to test it out
on, although i'll probably stick with OpenBSD/PPC or MacOS-X for that kind
of hardware.

> http://ftp.mobikom.com/OperSys/UNIX/Darwin/
> http://hisham.cc/files/apps/
> http://custom.lab.unb.br/pub/os/darwin/cd/x86/
> 230 MB, when gzipped; 240 MB, plain.

tiny, really. thanks for the list, i'll mirror it tomorrow or so.

> Caveats:
>
> (1) Darwin-x86 has _really_ narrow hardware support.  I've tried and
> tried and tried, and can't seem to ever successfully complete
> installation.  Methinks the sole purpose of this port is to prove lack
> of endian-ness problems in the source code, and that the only x86 box it
> will _actually_ install on is one in some dark Cupertino basement.

duly noted. i'll go through the formalities, and install it on PPC at some
point. somehow i assume you're right on the hidden x86 box in the deepest
darkest corners of Apple. maybe i'll pester folk i know at apple for
information on their sole x86 box.

> (2) Installing Darwin is really a slightly perverse (if possibly
> entertaining) thing to do.  Why?  Because to make it useful at all,
> you'll need to also go get the XFree86 port for Darwin, available only
> separately.  After that plus probably a lot of other updating work,
> you'll have a decidedly funky BSD variant that's kinda-sorta like
> NetBSD, except based (by default) around a bizarre RPC-based directory
> service called NetInfo.  And it'll be really rather slow compared to
> NetBSD.  And exist in a compatibility island all its own.

odd. i'm thinking of just using it for experimentation purposes, and just
for trying out.

> The PowerPC variant:
>
> http://www.futuretg.com/ftp.futuretg.com/mirrors/iso/10_macosx/
> http://volker.preil.bei.t-online.de/soft/html/darwin.html
> (251 MB, and one source claims that it's not actually gzipped)

gracias, sir.

  http://caustic.org/~jan                      jan at caustic.org
    "John Ashcroft is really just the reanimated corpse
         of J. Edgar Hoover." -- Tim Triche