[buug] Problems Installing freeBSD 4.6

Brian Sobolak sobolak at myrealbox.com
Thu Aug 15 21:03:47 PDT 2002

I'm not an expert, but I've been through this install
a few times, so I'll answer what I can.

Michael wrote:
>I booted from my CD-ROM and it boots to the Kernel Configuration Menu.

Did you download an ISO from freebsd.org or buy it
from a vendor?  If you downloaded it, did you cksum
the disk to make sure that it downloaded correctly?
If you used IE, sometimes there are problems with
the FTP client completing the download correctly.

>I selected the visual mode and went through the configuration steps.  The
>Device Configuration VI went fine.  Had to disable some drivers for
>some devices that I didnt have.

IIRC, you probably only want to do this for network
cards.  Most of the other stuff that comes with
generic you can safely leave in there.  Providing
more detail about a) your specific hardware and b)
what you disabled would help though.

>Then selected the standard
>installation.  Went to the Fdisk VI and I selected the entire disk and
>marked the slice as bootable.  Went to the Disklabel Editor and selected the
>automatic option.  Selected the "All system sources" to install from
>the CD-ROM.

Are you sure the disk has enough space to load that?
Usually it's a good idea to start with a minimal
install and add the additional pieces later.

> This is where everything goes downhill.  It stops with
>the following error "Write Failure on >transfer!"  "Unable to transfer
>the bin distribution from acdoc."  I used the ATL+F1 >to display the
>errors and it stated:

>/stand/gunzip: <fd:0>: invalid block type
>/stand/cpio: premature end of life

Did you google on these errors?  What did you find?

You might want to provide some more details about your disk size, hardware config etc.

>I'm new to this all and I'm lost.  Any help would be great.  Thanks!

Hope this helps.  Keep in mind that this is the Berkeley Unix Users Group (BUUG), not necessarily the BSD support list.  While some of us use BSD and might be able to help you, the best place to go with freeBSD problems is either newbies at freebsd.org or questions at freebsd.org.  Those mailing lists are setup to help people with questions like yours.

brian

--
Brian Sobolak
http://www.planetshwoop.com/