[buug] Problems Installing freeBSD 4.6

f.johan.beisser jan at caustic.org
Thu Aug 15 21:16:24 PDT 2002

On Thu, 15 Aug 2002, Michael Mulvihill wrote:

> I booted from my CD-ROM and it boots to the Kernel Configuration Menu.
> I selected the visual mode and went through the configuration steps.  The
> Device Configuration VI went fine.  Had to disable some drivers for
> some devices that I didnt have.

i generally just suggest using only doing this when you really have too.
that means, the machine won't boot due to conflicts between devices.

> Then selected the standard installation.  Went to the Fdisk VI and I
> selected the entire disk and marked the slice as bootable.  Went to the
> Disklabel Editor and selected the automatic option.

again, the default options aren't always the best, this holds true in
freebsd 4.6 aswell.

> Selected the "All system sources" to install from the CD-ROM.

which binary distrobution sets did you select?

> This is where everything goes downhill.  It stops with the following
> error "Write Failure on transfer!"  "Unable to transfer the bin
> distribution from acdoc."  I used the ATL+F1 to display the errors and
> it stated:
>
> /stand/gunzip: <fd:0>: invalid block type
> /stand/cpio: premature end of life

this would indictate two things: one, gunzip failed while attempting to
decompress a file; two, the pipe to cpio didn't work because of 1.

> I'm new to this all and I'm lost.  Any help would be great.  Thanks!

i'd highly suggest providing more information, and asking on
questions at freebsd.org. searching through the archive at
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com might yield some useful information.

  http://caustic.org/~jan                      jan at caustic.org
    "John Ashcroft is really just the reanimated corpse
         of J. Edgar Hoover." -- Tim Triche