[buug] keysigning?

Jeremy Brand, B.S. jeremy at nirvani.net
Fri Aug 16 16:20:46 PDT 2002

Thus spake Rick Moen:

> > Just a nit pick - how does verifying ones physical ID, like a drivers
> > license have anything to do with a trusted public key?
>
> I think you need to do some reading on what is and is not meant by the
> word "trust" in the GPG context.

I do not think I do.  Online trust has nothing nessesarily to do with
legal identity.  In fact online (aka digital) trust can be established
without knowledge of ones legal identity.  I am not the only one who
thinks so either.

* from: http://freenetproject.org/cgi-bin/twiki/view/Main/Philosophy
paragraph 7.
-- snip --
"It is a common misconception that you cannot trust anonymous information.
This is not necessarily true, using digital signatures people can create a
secure anonymous pseudonym which, in time, people can learn to trust. "
-- snip --

Jeremy