[buug] keysigning?

Jeremy Brand, B.S. jeremy at nirvani.net
Fri Aug 16 20:04:10 PDT 2002

Thus spake Rick Moen:

> It seems that you have some ideological problem with something Ian
> (Zimmerman, not Clarke) said, but cannot be bothered to state it
> specifically.  That's OK by me, but I think I'm done with this fork of
> the conversation, as the effort appears futile.
>
> Good luck with whatever your shibboleth is.

Dear Rick,

Your assumption about my _apparent_ ideological problem was simply a
misunderstanding by you.  I have no ideological problem with what Ian has
said.  Also, I am deeply sorry you do not understand my shibboleth.

In case it was not clear enough from my reply to Ian,

Thus spake Jeremy Brand:
> "Does this mean that people not able to physically exchange keys at the
> meeting will be left out of these discussions because posts to this list
> will only be encrypted to those who's keys were physically available at
> some point ?"

I am wondering if discussion on this list is going to end for those of us
who can not physically share a key with the members that meet regularly in
Berkeley.

On a side note, in response to Ian suggesting that we also not only share
our public keys, but also bring a picture ID, I said this:

Thus spake Jeremy Brand:
> "how does verifying ones physical ID, like a drivers license have
> anything to do with a trusted public key?  If a drivers license were all
> it took, would you feel safe sending something private to the average
> drivers license holder?"

So, Rick, as it was not clear to you, I will summarize my 3 questions into
1.  If you know the answer, please feel free to donate it.

Is the list going to be closed to those who can physically NOT provide
public keys at the meeting with picture ID?

I am particularly interested in an answer - because if that is the case,
then I need to find some physical means of transporting my public key and
picture ID for a meeting.  Had I know this, I could have done it last
night - but I do not think I will be able to attend a meeting for quite a
while, and it would be a shame to miss out on such wonderful discussion :)

Though I disagree if the point that is being made, that presenting a
picture ID assumes trust, that is not a point that matters.  I also
disagree for practicle reasons that a public list be encrypted to all of
it's recipients.  There are probalby many people that enjoy reading this
list that dealing with cryptogrophy would be just too much effort - and
thus be shut out.  Then there would be the group of people who can not
physically present a public key and picture ID - they would be shut out
also.  There is a lot of shared knowledge that would not be shared to the
extent that it is now if this list were encrypted.  However, I would
certainly present _a_ picture ID (and _a_ public key) if I had the
opportunity.

Thanks,
Jeremy

PS, thank you Rick for clearing up any situation in which my questions
were not clear enough.  Your helpfulness in this matter will not be
forgotten. :)