[buug] network cards

Michael Salmon ms at formulae.org
Tue Aug 20 14:29:54 PDT 2002

On Tue, Aug 20, 2002 at 02:22:10PM -0700, Skip Evans wrote:
> Hi Buugs,
>
> I'm going to put this darn box online this weekend or else (spent all last weekend doing a web page of the Grand Canyon), and am wondering if I should go ahead and put the two network cards I'll need in now or wait until I get it on the web first. The reason I'm thinking of making this a two step process is to avoid and interference between the two cards while I'm getting it online.
>
> Is this a wise step or being overly cautious? Is BSD good and working with two cards and keeping them from interfering with one another?

If your kernel is built to support each card they work simply work on reboot.
Each will get a name which you can configure using ifconfig. Basically
FreeBSD is fine with as many nics as you can put in your computer.
If you are going to route packets between interfaces you'll of course need
to do lots more..  Just make sure you plug the cables in to the right cards.

> Skip Evans

ms