[buug] FreeBSD 4.5 problems

Robert Dorman redorman at theofficenet.com
Mon Aug 26 01:04:12 PDT 2002

I am a relative newbie to UNIX systems.  I have installed FreeBSD 4.5 on my
Dell Dimension L800r, separate internal 30GB disk.  Windows XP and Me are
on a different HD.

1) After installation, including XFree86 (which subsequently wouldn't load,
but that's another issue I will deal with later), and rebooting, and
logging in as root, I repeatedly get the on-screen message:

"getty [2**]: login tty /dev/console operation not supported by device"
where ** keeps incrementing with each line.  After awhile I get:
"init: getty repeating too quickly on port /dev/console, sleeping 30 sec."
then the first line mentioned starts repeating again.  It interrupts
anything else I try to do, like editing a file.  (I have a 30 sec. time
window to work before the damn thing wakes up again!)
Even switching to a different console using ,<ctrl>D or <alt>F2, F3, or F4
and re-logging in still produced the problem.  I let this go on for 24
hours once before shutting everything down.  Back when I was smarter (a
couple of years ago) I had this same problem and fixed it on a different
computer.  Now I forgot how I did it!  I think it had to do with a
configuration file and the overly large number of terminal logins permitted
in it.

2) I have wireless DSL, which works just fine with Windows XP and
Me.  Sometimes I get over 1000kbps.  I uses and Orinoco PCI card plugged
into an adapter that plugs into my USB port.  Now Orinoco supposedly has
Linux drivers, but I have no idea how to get this working with
FreeBSD.  The drivers might only be for the PCI card hardware version
rather than the USB version.

Any help with these problems would certainly be appreciated.