[buug] System.map problems with 2.4.19

Jon McClintock jammer at weak.org
Tue Aug 27 19:14:31 PDT 2002

On Tue, Aug 27, 2002 at 06:48:15PM -0700, Mark Hedges wrote:

> Yes, yes, I rebooted.  I'm on Debian.

If you're on Debian, you should really be using make-kpkg. It makes
building and installing kernels nigh-simple.

> I think I figured out what the problem was.  I had previously
> configured advanced partition selection under the file systems
> menu, and selected the msdos bios partition types, and then
> deselected advanced partition selections without first
> deselecting the msdos bios partition type.  That option was
> still set to Y in .config, although none of the requisites were,
> so System.map figured it should be there, but it wasn't.  Or
> something... anyway after fixing that, and compiling the dummy
> net driver into the kernel instead of as a module, I remade the
> kernel and it works now without the warning.

Urm. Nope. System.map is exactly what it says it is, a map of the
kernel. It's a simple text file listing the offsets of all the things
(functions, data, whatnot) compiled into the kernel (look at it and
see). Your kernel configuration should have nothing to do with the
correlation between the running kernel and the System.map that ps was
looking at. Anyway, the error is harmless.

-Jon