[buug] On missing data

Ian Zimmerman itz at speakeasy.org
Mon Dec 2 20:13:24 PST 2002

Bob> But there are times when you must sacrifice "utopian design" to
Bob> meet the requirements (ie replace a bunch of java with C), so
Bob> it's important to think about how you would achieve the desired
Bob> control flow in a language that lacked try/throw/catch.

My gim project which I mentioned some time ago includes (and heavily
uses) a package for exception handling in C, called exc.  I didn't
originally write it, I just modified it to ne thread-safe.  It works
beautifully, and the code is immensely cleaner thanks to it.

Bob> Then, I thought about a friend of mine who recently "evolved" via
Bob> a makeover and I thought:

>> When you get down to it, exceptions are just gotos > with more
>> make-up and a push-up bra.

Some friends you have :)

--
Ian Zimmerman, Oakland, California, U.S.A.
if (sizeof(signed) > sizeof(unsigned) + 4) { delete this; }