[buug] tetex-LaTeX: Using New Century Schoolbook font

Joseph Zitt jzitt at metatronpress.com
Thu Dec 5 13:08:10 PST 2002

I'm trying to use the New Century Schoolbook font in a book I'm
typesetting in LaTeX under RedHat 7.3. I'm using the "newcent" package
found in /usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/psnfss/newcent.sty

Other than the comment lines, the .sty file contains the following:

\ProvidesPackage{newcent}
[2000/01/12 PSNFSS-v8.1
NewCenturySchoolbook font as default roman (SPQR)
]
\renewcommand{\rmdefault}{pnc}
\renewcommand{\sfdefault}{pag}
\renewcommand{\ttdefault}{pcr}
\endinput

When I try to run latex on the file (via emacs), the log contains the
following:

This is TeX, Version 3.14159 (Web2C 7.3.1) (format=latex 2002.4.12)  5
DEC 2002
01:29
**\nonstopmode\input 08=ALENU.tex
(08=ALENU.tex (/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/base/article.cls
Document Class: article 2000/05/19 v1.4b Standard LaTeX document class
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/base/size12.clo
File: size12.clo 2000/05/19 v1.4b Standard LaTeX file (size option)
)
\c at part=\count79
\c at section=\count80
\c at subsection=\count81
\c at subsubsection=\count82
\c at paragraph=\count83
\c at subparagraph=\count84
\c at figure=\count85
\c at table=\count86
\abovecaptionskip=\skip41
\belowcaptionskip=\skip42
\bibindent=\dimen102
)
LaTeX Font Info:    Try loading font information for OT1+pncr on input
line 7.
LaTeX Font Info:    No file OT1pncr.fd. on input line 7.
LaTeX Font Warning: Font shape `OT1/pncr/m/n' undefined
(Font)              using `OT1/cmr/m/n' instead on input line 7.

...after which it proceeds to build the output in the defaul "cmr" font.

It seems to be looking for a file named "OT1pncr.fd" (or possibly
"OT1pncr.fd."?) on the system. The closest matches I see to the filename
are:

/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/psnfss/ot1pcr.fd
/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/psnfss/ot1pnc.fd

A google search for "ot1pncr" comes up with nothing.

Am I missing a file that I should have, and can I find it somewhere? Or
is there something else I should have or do?

Thanks for any info...

--
| jzitt at josephzitt.com                      http://www.josephzitt.com/ |
| GPG: A4224EFA                         http://www.mp3.com/josephzitt/ |