[buug] Postfix + what = Squirrelmail

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Dec 12 23:03:39 PST 2002

Quoting Matt Bockman (bonkers at thetechbox.com):

> I have postfix installed, of course, the computer I have it on doesn't
> have a valid hostname or anything, so I can't really test it just yet.
> I believe I need courier-IMAP or something to use it with
> squirrelmail. BTW, is there anyway to check it via an IP address using
> pop mail?

I may be missing something, but I'm unclear on what specifically you'e
talking about when you say "it" (as in "check it").  You could mean
you're looking for something to check whether Postfix is working.  If
so, then the thing to do is to set up /etc/host entries that point to
the SMTP host's IP address du jour, send it mail (to root, to
postmaster, or whatever), and verify that it hits Postfix's mail spool.

You could alternatively mean you're looking for something to check
whether SquirrelMail is working, given the assumption that Postfix is.
I can't offer you a specific suggestion with that (having little
experience with debugging webmail); I hope something will suggest itself
from the SquirrelMail docs.  But the obvious option is to install
whatever imapd seems easiest -- if only temporarily -- and verify
SquirrelMail functionality by making it work.

If you're asking if there's a way to make SquirrelMail work using a
pop3d instead of an imapd, I doubt that very much.

--
Cheers,                     Errors have been made.  Others will be blamed.
Rick Moen
rick at linuxmafia.com