[buug] Re: Regressing from gcc-2.96 to gcc-2.95.3

Sean Neakums sneakums at zork.net
Fri Dec 20 11:48:28 PST 2002

commence  Bill Honeycutt quotation:

> Taking a stab at the obvious, I built 2.95 in...
>
>    /usr/bin/gcc-2.95
>
> ...and there seem to be lots of goodies in...
>
>    /usr/bin/gcc-2.95/bin/*
>
> ...when the compile completes.

I'd recommend not building software anywhere but under your home
directory, to avoid cluttering up the system.

> Is this the motherlode, or would I be leaving out essential files?

You would miss out a few vitals if you only copy those files.  gcc
needs a whole bunch of stuff to compile stuff successfully.

One way to do this would be to build with a prefix like
/usr/local/packages/gcc-2.95 so that 'make install' will put
everything under there.  Then you can easily tar up this directory and
unpack it on each machine.  Prepending
/usr/local/packages/gcc-2.95/bin to the path should then complete the
override.

--
[|] Sean Neakums            |  Questions are a burden to others;