[buug] 3ware PCI IDE RAID card

f.johan.beisser jan at caustic.org
Fri Dec 20 14:46:18 PST 2002

On Fri, 20 Dec 2002, Bob Read wrote:

> Opinions please on the 3ware PCI IDE Raid card?

i've not used mine, as of yet. i've had one, in the box, for about a year
now.

> This is a PCI card with IDE adapters.  You connect IDE drives to it and
> it runs RAID.  I think you can connect 4 IDE drives per 3ware card.
> I've been told that these cards can outperform SCSI.

i've got the 6800, it is able to handle 8 drives.

> Bonus question:  Is there a way to build a "cage" of IDE drives
> connected to this 3ware card that shows a red light on the front for a
> crashed drive and a green light for an OK drive?

not really. you could do that in software though. the 3ware drivers should
report problems to the kernel, and in turn announce them to the console.

the other option is to wire your own status lights to the IDE drive
cables... but status lights are something usually controlled from the
controller or the kernel..

  http://caustic.org/~jan                      jan at caustic.org
	"Champagne for my real friends, real pain for
	  my sham friends." -- Tom Waits