[buug] newbie attack

Brian Sobolak sobolak at myrealbox.com
Mon Feb 4 22:44:08 PST 2002

On 2/4/02 9:35 PM, "Marc at sozavac.net" <Marc at sozavac.net> wrote:

> I recently loaded one of my pc's with freebsd.

Which version?  Put uname -a in your email; it helps know what you're
running.

> When logged on
> as root, I seem to have no root powers???

Such as??  What can't you do?

> Another odd bit,
> when I log in as root my # prompt has the group name placed
> before it that I created at install (sozavac). ie.  sozavac#
> If I stay logged in long enough an error pops up:
> CRON[412]: _secure_path: /root/.login_conf is not owned by
> root
> This error will repeat periodically.
> I tried chown root /path/to/file and root.wheel with no luck.
> I don't want to reload the os, besides I would much rather
> learn to troubleshoot the problem.
> I would appreciate any feedback on this simple-to-you, but
> really CRAZY-to-me newbie prob.

It sounds like your /etc/groups file is messed up, or the default
permissions on your files don't match .  Why don't you display the output of
'ls -al /root' and include your /etc/groups file?

While BUUG is a great resource, you'll probably get a better response (or at
least faster) response from the BSD mailing lists.  Check out
<http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/eresources.html>.
I'd bet if you ask your question on newbies at freebsd.org or
questions at freebsd.org (but don't cross-post!) you'll get an answer; I always
have.