[buug] new linux user question

Brian Sobolak sobolak at myrealbox.com
Wed Feb 13 12:04:12 PST 2002

Hmmm...  I guess I'll take the plunge...

<anna stuff>
IE: I'm the only user on my Linux system, but I set up
accounts for Annak, cbell and tina. I cannot access my
applications (Starpoint and Moneydance) on annak which
is my su account.
</anna stuff>

What actions are you taking? (ie command you type into the machine, or menus you use through GNOME or KDE to activate the program)

What's the error message that tells you it failed?

<anna stuff type="more">
Somehow in my haste, I deleted the account cbell and
tina form log in. I can now log in only as annak ...
yet when I look in the root directory I physically see
cbell and tina . They have locks on them that prohibit
me from using them.
</anna stuff>

They have locks on them?  If you are su, then you should be able to access their accounts if you need to.  What tells you that they are locked?

By the way, you'll probably want to provide more technical detail about what you're running, ie KDE on Mandrake 8, Red Hat 7, etc.

Also, as has previously been suggested, you probably want to take a look around the web to see if this hasn't been solved before.  Did you try searching for your problem on http://www.google.com/linux before you posted here?

brian