[buug] Sendmail/SMTP problem on FreeBSD

D. L miduckhunter at beer.com
Wed Feb 27 10:52:51 PST 2002

I am someone you will be able to help me.  I really do not know where
else to go for guidance on an Issue that I am seeing with SMTP and/or
POP3 on my box that is running Apache 1.3 on Free BSD.  In addition I
am not that proficient in the Linux/Unix Environement.

 I have a SMTP and POP3 server running Apache 1.3 on FreeBSD.  I have
been getting a complaint from an end user that his e-mail is not
functioning properly.

 This end user can send mail out.  He is not receiving any messages
 from the daemon indicating that it did not send successfully.  At
this point he is assuming that the mail has been sent.  The problem
is that the recipient never did get the message or when they do
receive it they are unable to reply to it.

 For some reason they are prompted with an error indicating that the
host (my mail server) cannot be found.  I find this funny because I
have 50 other e-mail boxes/accounts on this server and no one else
has mentioned any problems.

 I contacted my ISP and had them verify my MX records and DNS for my
mail server and domain.  Everything appears to be correct.  With this
in mind I tried sending and receiving e-mails from this account.  The
same results occured.  I deleted and recreated the account in
question and still the same result.

 Finally I created a test account using his first inital and the
first 8 letters of his name.  This account functions properly.  I
believe that his account is bad.  Aside from deleting it and
recreating it on the server is there anything else I can do to fix
this issue?  Your help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Don
miduckhunter at beer.com