[buug] Sendmail/SMTP problem on FreeBSD

D. L miduckhunter at beer.com
Wed Feb 27 11:31:41 PST 2002

Here are the answers to your questions:

1.  Sendmail
2.  I have not checked the logs yet.  (You will have to understand, I
am very new to both FreeBSD and Sendmail.)
3.  The problem is with any e-mail address.
4.  I ran a Reverse DNS lookup and the IP address matches the name
for the mail server.

Thanks,
-Don
miduckhunter at beer.com

> - Which MTA are you running? Sendmail? Exim? Postfix? Qmail
(shudder)?
> - Have you checked your logs for any informative error messages?
> - Is it a specific email address your user is having troubles
sending mail
  to?
> - Does the reverse DNS lookup for your severs IP address match what
the
  mail server says it is called?

> It could be that the host they are trying to send mail to is doing
a reverse
lookup, finding something different, and rejecting it.

-Jon

On Wed, Feb 27, 2002 at 01:52:51PM -0500, D. L wrote:
> I am someone you will be able to help me.  I really do not know
where
> else to go for guidance on an Issue that I am seeing with SMTP
and/or
> POP3 on my box that is running Apache 1.3 on Free BSD.  In addition
> am not that proficient in the Linux/Unix Environement.
>
>  I have a SMTP and POP3 server running Apache 1.3 on FreeBSD.  I
have
> been getting a complaint from an end user that his e-mail is not
> functioning properly.
>
>  This end user can send mail out.  He is not receiving any messages
>  from the daemon indicating that it did not send successfully.  At
> this point he is assuming that the mail has been sent.  The problem
> is that the recipient never did get the message or when they do
> receive it they are unable to reply to it.
>
>  For some reason they are prompted with an error indicating that
the
> host (my mail server) cannot be found.  I find this funny because I
> have 50 other e-mail boxes/accounts on this server and no one else
> has mentioned any problems.
>
>  I contacted my ISP and had them verify my MX records and DNS for
my
> mail server and domain.  Everything appears to be correct.  With
this
> in mind I tried sending and receiving e-mails from this
account.  The