[buug] Multiple problems

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Jan 1 12:24:35 PST 2002

Quoting Mark Handley (mjh at aciri.org):

> The A7V has a known problem with disks; both SCSI and IDE disks suffer
> corruption when writing large files.

Luis --

Notice this means that any OS already loaded onto such a machine (prior
to upgrading the BIOS) is suspect:  That is, if you still had the
FreeBSD-unspecified-version load on the A7V, you would have to not only
upgrade the BIOS but also then _blow away and reload the installation_
before drawing any further conclusions.

If one suspects that the OS was corrupted in the process of installation
(as what Mark says would suggest), then all bets are off until you've
eliminated that possibility.

Please note that this is always a risk when trying out bleeding-edge
hardware:  You can always tell the pioneers by the arrows sticking out
of their backs.  (I'm thus always happy to let _other_ people be the
first to test new hardware.)

--
Cheers,
Rick Moen                      "vi is my shepherd; I shall not font."