[buug] Multiple problems

Mark Handley mjh at aciri.org
Tue Jan 1 14:23:52 PST 2002

>Notice this means that any OS already loaded onto such a machine (prior
>to upgrading the BIOS) is suspect:  That is, if you still had the
>FreeBSD-unspecified-version load on the A7V, you would have to not only
>upgrade the BIOS but also then _blow away and reload the installation_
>before drawing any further conclusions.
>
>If one suspects that the OS was corrupted in the process of installation
>(as what Mark says would suggest), then all bets are off until you've
>eliminated that possibility.

I've got seven A7V systems (original A7V's, not A7V133 or A7V266): two
with 1GHz Athlons and Ultra-2 SCSI, and five with 1.1GHz Athlons and
Ultra 160 SCSI.  I never saw corruption on the 1GHz systems, but all
the 1.1GHz systems would consistently corrupt large files, with
probability of perhaps 1-in-5 for files larger than 100MB.  But none
of them got corrupted during OS install - I run tripwire-like
monitoring, so I'd know.

I certainly wouldn't rule out OS corruption, but I never saw it myself.

Cheers,
	Mark