[buug] Open Source Programmer Group Meeting (Jan 17)

Claude Rubinson cmsclaud at arches.uga.edu
Tue Jan 15 10:45:12 PST 2002

While I'm not quite ready to stop attending the BUUG meetings, I have to
say that it's also crossed my mind.  I've always found BUUG to be really
special; indeed, to date, it's the only user-group that I attend
regularly.

To my mind, that BUUG is informal and intimate is only part of its appeal.
Even more important is BUUG's openness.  All flavors of Unix are
discussed, anybody (developer, user, newbie) is welcome, and political
debates (open source vs free software, Windows vs Unix) are virtually
non-existent.

Unlike so many other user groups, I can't imagine that anyone would feel
out of place at BUUG.  But I fear that large influxes of specific groups
(for example, Debian users or open source developers) will change that
dynamic.  We've already lost one valuable member in the form of Ian, it
would be a shame to lose more.

Robin, I think that it's great that you're interested in forming other
user-groups in the East Bay Area.  As I mentioned to tluxt, I'd certainly
be interested in attending an East-Bay chapter of BAD.  But could I
suggest that rather than piggybacking on top of BUUG, that these others
groups meet on a different day?  In fact, this may be best all around as
it would allow each group to evolve it's own culture, specific to the
interests of its members.

Claude