[buug] Open Source Programmer Group Meeting (Jan 17)

Jon McClintock jammer at weak.org
Tue Jan 15 21:58:42 PST 2002

Hey folks,

As the only founder of BUUG who is still in the Bay Area and a part of the
group, I feel I should say something here.

BUUG was created because we were looking for a casual setting to meet,
hang out, and talk about various things geek. We chose the UUG (Unix User
Group) moniker because that was a common interest among us, and because we
felt it was fairly inclusive and relaxed, much like we wanted the group to
be.

Anyone is welcome to attend the meetings. Any topic is open to discussion
(and probably already has been discussed at great length). There is no
format, there are no presentations, and any attempt at structure would probably
fail miserably. The only orginizational details we worry about are were to
place the sign (if I remembered to bring it), and how to arrange the tables
to best facilitate conversation.

Robin, I applaud your efforts at creating more forums for open dialog.
However, I don't think it's appropriate that it should be tacked onto the
existing BUUG meetings, and I wish you would have consulted me before
announcing this. You (and anyone else for that matter), are welcome to come
and discuss the ins and outs of open source programming. But don't be suprised
to find that people have their opinions and hold them dearly, no matter how
insipid or closed minded you believe them to be.

End of discussion. I hope to see you all on Thursday.

-Jon