[buug] Casual Encryption

Aaron T Porter atporter at primate.net
Mon Jul 15 16:16:08 PDT 2002

	Just a quick plea for all you guys to seriously consider
enabling SMTP-TLS on any and all mail servers they control. With the US
government in Ashcroft juggernaut mode for the forseable future, I fear
that the use of encryption will quickly become a red flag for further
observation. If we can reach a point where a sizable portion of SMTP
traffic is encrypted regardless of the content we can reduce any
implications of sending encrypted mail. Probably doesn't make your
standard Carnivore install too happy either.
	To clarify, using TLS is definately not as good as PGP/GPG, it
only encrypts the links between servers -- if your MX host isn't
trustworthy, they can get plaintext. TLS is just one small step towards a
more private email infrastructure.
	On most mail systems, enabling TLS is incredibly easy (one line
config change on my Debian Sendmail box). It's a one-time fix that affects
even technologically challenged users. I've tacked some links below for
common MTA's.

Qmail http://www.esat.kuleuven.ac.be/~vermeule/qmail/tls.patch
Postfix http://www.aet.tu-cottbus.de/personen/jaenicke/pfixtls/
Exim http://www.exim.org/exim-html-3.20/doc/html/spec_38.html