[buug] Window size under KDE. (fwd)

Brian Sobolak sobolak at myrealbox.com
Wed Jul 24 23:43:20 PDT 2002

hi

SE> At 07:02 PM 7/24/2002 -0700, Patrick Soltani wrote:
>>Hi,
>>find out what version of XFree86 you are running on your FreeBSD box:
>>pkg_info | grep -i xfree

SE> Running  this  command  did  not  produce any output. I am running
SE> FreeBSD 4.0. I just purchased The Complete FreeBSD within the last
SE> couple  of months and these are the CDs that came with the book. I
SE> really just thought I was buying a book and was quite surprised to
SE> find not only a whole OS but a boatload of free apps!

If you have the bandwidth and the time, you might want to download a
more recent version of the software.  FreeBsd.org has .iso images
available - just download the image, burn it to a CD, and you're ready
to roll.  I bought the book and then went and downloaded the latest
code.

You can of course also run updates to get the latest source (cvsup).
It's not hard.

You'll definitely want to upgrade to a more recent release of FreeBSD
if this machine's going to be exposed to the internet - they've made a
lot of security enhancements since 4.0.

>>based on the version 3 or 4, you have to run the config utility that
>>walks you thru the setup; xf86config

FreeBSD  4.0  is  definitely running XFree86 3 (3.1.1?).  I think they
only upgraded to 4 in the most recent release.

Reminds me of one of my favorite unix quotes:  X Windows.  The problem
for your problem.

brian

--
Got work?                      http://www.planetshwoop.com/resume/