[buug] Single male programmer ISO decent Java IDE

Brian Sobolak sobolak at myrealbox.com
Fri Jun 7 09:11:20 PDT 2002

hi

I'm sure everyone has their religious preferences here, but since many of us write code, I'm seeking some ideas for finding a decent IDE.  I know, I know, they all suck.  Fine.  But the one I'm supposed to use for work (Websphere) sucks extroidinarily hard.

The primary goal for this tool is to write Java code.  Anything else is gravy.  I would like the following features:

 - ability to tell me which class/method I'm in (must have)
 - color-coding:  highlights keywords (must have)
 - brace/paren matching: shows me visually which braces are matching
 - decent search functionality (must have)
 - auto indent (must have)
 - code-folding:  expand/collapse blocks (nice to have)

Debugging capability from within the tool isn't needed.

I'm open to anything, even if it means totally learning a new tool.  My current honey is Komodo because it does all of the above except tell me what method I'm in.  XEmacs bombs because the source files I'm looking at (24,000 lines of code) blow up the regex engine.  I've tried jEdit and didn't have a lot of luck - the java support was buggy.

Anything I'm missing here?  Anything I should look at and haven't?

brian
--
Brian Sobolak
http://www.planetshwoop.com/