[buug] modprobing antiquated modules

Mark Hedges hedges at ucsd.edu
Thu Jun 20 11:21:05 PDT 2002

I've read hints that loading modules compiled under older kernel
versions is in fact possible, but the modprobe and modules.conf
syntax is a little obtuse for me.  Anyone done this?

I have a driver for my Alcatel Speedtouch PC (PCI) ADSL modem
compiled by the driver manufacturer under linux 2.4.2-2
(RedHat/SuSE version 7.1).

I tried running it under RedHat 7.1 but it didn't work well, and
I want to try a patched version of pppd for newer pppoe that
only runs on kernels > 2.4.3.

I actually got the thing to connect once under slackware 2.4.2,
but it never worked again... timeout waiting for PADO packets.
I'm sort of flailing in the dark here but it helps to get back
into the swing of things to turn every stone.

So I reinstalled slackware 2.2.19 and upgraded to kernel 2.4.18.
Is it possible to load the 2.4.2 or 2.4.2-2 driver module?

`modprobe /lib/modules/misc/itex1483.o` keeps saying that the
module was not found.  `depmod` does warn of unresolved symbols,
but can I somehow use -q to generate a dependency file so
`modprobe` can use the module?  I also need to configure extra
insmod options to set the vci/vpi and framing.  Help?

--mark--