[buug] modprobing antiquated modules

Mark Hedges hedges at ucsd.edu
Sat Jun 22 00:49:19 PDT 2002

On 21 Jun 2002, Ian Zimmerman wrote:
> Ok, so what it the version of the kernel, and where exactly is the
> module in question installed?

Incidentally I can't insmod -f under kernel 2.4.18...  It
comes up with an unresolved dependency on 'tlec' or some such.

Module kernel version  2.4.2-2

Current kernel version 2.4.18

Module path /lib/modules/misc/itex1483-2.4.2-2.o

Trying to insmod the module compiled under 2.4.2 generates a
bunch of crazy errors and a segmentation fault, but loads the
driver anyway into a perpetually "initializing" state.

Maybe I should just try the kernel source for 2.4.3 and hope
it's less likely I'll get a symbol problem than with 2.4.18.

Or can I get it to stay quiet about the conflict?

Or can I get it to find the dependency from the 2.4.2 System.map
and load that module version without errors?

Maybe I should just find a DSL modem that connects to Ethernet...

Thanks for your "sage" advice though.  Argh.

Why I have to do this.... Under 2.4.2 or 2.4.2-2 the module
loads (I found versions for both), and when it loads, the data
light on the DSL card blinks and it reports data rates and a
live connection... but when I try to run pppoe the data light
never blinks, like it's not even sending the PADI packet, even
though it says it does and the response times out.  Some user
testimonial recommends that I try the elusive, patched (but not
versioned) pppd for pppoe, which claims it only works under
2.4.3 or higher.

--mark--