[buug] mounting big ide fat32 partitions

Mark Hedges hedges at ucsd.edu
Sat Mar 23 16:09:41 PST 2002

Howdy, Geeks, from Santa Cruz.

With grub I run Windows2000 on drive 0 and FreeBSD on drive 1.
These are big IDE drives (20G and 60G) with multiple big
partitions.

When I boot FreeBSD on drive 1, I want to mount at least one of
my partitions from drive 0.

PROBLEM 1:

mount -t msdos or an msdos type entry in /etc/fstab both mount
the first partition successfully (drive "C:") using /dev/ad0s1.
However, it has problems - not all files and directories appear.

PROBLEM 2:

I cannot mount the second partition (drive "E:").  I even tried
`sh MAKEDEV /dev/ad0s5` to create a device for the extended
partition, but it still did not work.

Anyone have experience mounting big FAT32 partitions like this?

Thanks for any pointers.

--mark--