[buug] Re: ethernet config problems

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu May 2 13:04:03 PDT 2002

Quoting myself:

> For that matter, a Linux maintenance floppy with the open-source
> 3c5x9utils programs would be really handy, too.
>
> http://packages.debian.org/stable/net/3c5x9utils.html
>
> That includes diag and setup utilities, but I have no idea if they
> include the ability to toggle PnP.  Whereas, 3Com's 3C5X9CFG.EXE
> program for DOS does.

Not surprisingly, they turn out on examination to be yet another Donald
Becker creation:

http://www.scyld.com/diag/

The setup program is claimed to be able to set specific IRQ and I/O
assignments from the command line.  Which _seems_ to suggest disabling
of PnP mode, but that is untested by me.  (Note that Becker gives source
code and ultra-simple compilation instructions right on the Web page.)

All of the old 3C509b cards in my used-parts box had PnP disabled via
3Com's DOS utility and got set to IRQ10, I/O 300h, years ago.