[buug] boot without keyboard?

Claude Rubinson cmsclaud at arches.uga.edu
Sun May 5 17:26:05 PDT 2002

Hey all, I'm hoping that someone might be able to help me out with an
annoying problem with a Compaq workstation.  The machine's BIOS refuses to
boot the computer if it doesn't detect a keyboard (if I recall correctly,
it gives a 386 error). I'm wondering there's a way around that?  I've gone
through the BIOS and can't find anything (it's a custom Compaq BIOS; very
restricted).

It's a Win2k machine that I use only rarely (specifically, for a
statistical analysis program that would cost me $500 under Unix -- $500
that I don't have right now).  Essentially, it's a headless box: I only
use it through VNC.  But since it won't boot without a keyboard, I need to
switch the keyboard cables back and forth every time that I need to use
it. A serious pain in the ass considering how often Windows wants to be
rebooted.

My guess is that I'm just going to have to buy a used keyboard to keep
plugged in all the time.  But that conflicts with my aesthetic
sensibility; if someone has another suggestion, I'm all ears.

Thanks,

Claude

p.s.  The machine has a bootable CD-ROM but no floppy drive, so replacing
the BIOS isn't an option.  (It's one of these "corporate-friendly"
workstations.  No expandability except via the USB, serial, and parallel
ports.  Very cute, however.)