[buug] /usr on solaris X86

f.johan.beisser jan at caustic.org
Thu Nov 7 14:14:27 PST 2002

On Thu, 7 Nov 2002, Nick Jennings wrote:

>  It's interesting this should come up as I have recently been thinking
>  of setting up a Solaris X86 system. The main reason I'd like to do
>  this is to learn about Solaris administration without actually buying
>  the hardware. Unfortunately the companies I've worked for have either
>  had no Solaris equipment, or had other people to take care of the
>  administration of these machines. It's been hard to get my foot in
>  the door, so to speak, in the area of Solaris Systems Administrator
>  (Or as the head hunters say it "UNIX Admin" and are never specific enough
>  until I've already wasted too much time).

the problem is that Solaris x86 is "similar" to Solaris sparc, but not
exactly the same. and i've never encountered it used in any production
network.

you'd be better served finding an older Sparc 5/10/20 to abuse. even then,
though, the older ones will run Solaris 8 really slowly.

>  Does anyone here use X86 Solaris? Is it a good way for cheapo's to learn
>  about Solaris Systems? Having some familiarity with it, even if it's
>  not professional will help greatly (not to mention the BSD and Linux
>  experience I already have).

see above.

http://www.craigslist.org/sfo/sby/sys/6685333.html
http://www.craigslist.org/sfo/eby/sys/6673653.html

  http://caustic.org/~jan                      jan at caustic.org
	"Champagne for my real friends, real pain for
	  my sham friends." -- Tom Waits