[buug] /usr on solaris X86

f.johan.beisser jan at caustic.org
Thu Nov 7 14:53:45 PST 2002

On Thu, 7 Nov 2002, Aaron T Porter wrote:

> 	Ahh, that's because the people that use it are too embarrased to
> admit it. At one point E-Pinions was almost entirely Sol x86 based. It is
> really aweful stuff though. Support for 3-4 ethernet cards, 2-3 scsi
> cards, and very very few video cards last I messed with it (nearly 3 years
> now fortunately).

i pitty you.

no, really, i do. that's horrid. if you're going the x86 route, you should
use Linux or BSD, there's little reason not too.

> I'd have to agree with the other advice here, to learn solaris, pick up
> a used Sun box. Thanks to greedy engineers and the dot-bomb you can get
> pretty amazing deals on Ultra workstations. Under $250 quite frequently
> on Craigslist and Ebay.

quite often. ebay tends to run a little more than craig's list, though.

sometimes you find good deals on machines. i got a Sun IPX for free, a
while ago, i still use it on my network at home, as the v6
router/firewall.

  http://caustic.org/~jan                      jan at caustic.org
	"Champagne for my real friends, real pain for
	  my sham friends." -- Tom Waits