[buug] /usr on solaris X86

f.johan.beisser jan at caustic.org
Thu Nov 7 16:28:02 PST 2002

On Fri, 8 Nov 2002, johnd wrote:

> I think you are over generalizing.  Are you assuming that Sparc boxes
> are fast? I work with x86 boxes that are way faster than some Sparcs and
> vice versa.

no, i'm assuming there's a very large difference between sparc and x86.

speed between CPU architectures is a sum of more than just Hz. you can't
do a reasonable comparison of Slowaris on x86 and Slowaris on sparc.

to me, though, solaris is just.. slow. it's a good idea, good design, good
workhorse. it's just not the powerhouse outside of that.

> It is a great way to learn.  It will appear to be the same as a Sparc.
> If you learned Solaris on a x86 you would be able to move to a Sparc
> with ease.

as long as you don't try to dig in to the deep voodoo that's sometimes
needed.

> at least try it...there is no cost, if you can get a copy of the install
> CD's.

you can order them from sun. i believe you can still download them from
sun.com, although i'm not sure. you can find media for sale on ebay, of
course.

i would suggest grabbing solaris for sparc, and buying a used sparc
station for cheap.

> Assuming your not doing any super low level stuff.

many of the OS flags and hardware support bits require sparc. all the
documentation on solaris assumes sparc, and sun hardware, vs the emulation
layer than solaris x86 uses.

  http://caustic.org/~jan                      jan at caustic.org
	"Champagne for my real friends, real pain for
	  my sham friends." -- Tom Waits