[buug] disk clone

Rob Helmer robert at namodn.com
Sat Nov 9 13:02:32 PST 2002

On Sat, Nov 09, 2002 at 12:31:58PM -0800, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Rob Helmer (robert at namodn.com):
>
> > Sorry, I actually meant "-p" ( aka " --preserve-permissions" ).
> > Without "-p" it does not.
>
> Ah.  I knew about (and use) -p, but never relied on it to copy device
> files.  http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/linux-info/kb/200

I just ran a few tests, GNU tar does actually preserve the major/minor
device numbers and file type ( block/char/etc. ) without -p, I
was mistaken there.

It's worth noting that your new cloned system will not work very
well if the files in /dev are copied using tar without -p ( if it
boots up unassisted at all ).