[buug] latex (pronounced Lay-tech)

John Landahl john at landahl.org
Thu Nov 14 11:10:28 PST 2002

On Wednesday 13 November 2002 10:51 am, Bob Read wrote:
> I'm trying to help out a friend who wants to publish a
> math book (lots of equations I guess) and Latex seems
> like a good choice, what with AMS-LaTeX and
> all...opinions, please?

For do-it-yourself high quality printed output, there's nothing better.

As someone else suggested, there's the LyX editor which serves as a decent
front end to LaTeX.  There's also TeXmacs, which seems a bit more advanced
than LyX, but I haven't used it.  You might want to keep your eye on Nemo
(http://nemo.mongueurs.net/) for future use, which will combine TeXmacs,
Qt, Perl, and POE.

That said, my personal recommendation would be to use any editor you're
familiar with and markup the book using XML (DocBook would probably be your
best bet), then use a LaTeX/TeX backend for typesetting the final output.
XML plus LaTeX/TeX is *the* way to go these days.
--
John Landahl     | http://landahl.org/john
john at landahl.org | ICQ: 11191999