[buug] latex (pronounced Lay-tech)

John Landahl john at landahl.org
Thu Nov 14 14:50:10 PST 2002

On Thursday 14 November 2002 12:42 pm, Ian Zimmerman wrote:
> But if he has a lot of math formulas, XML (or MathML to be precise) is
> a lot of pain.  Well, he can put them into NDATA entities and
> handcode them in LaTeX, but he will really ask himself why not do the
> whole thing directly in LaTeX.

MathML is not necessary.  You can use TeX formula notation within DocBook,
which gets rendered by TeX at the appropriate time in the processing chain.

At least, that's what I understand.  I've heard people say it works quite
well ("beautifully" was the adverb I saw used), but I don't do formulae so
I can't speak from personal experience.  A Google search on "docbook tex
math" pulls up a number of references.
--
John Landahl     | http://landahl.org/john
john at landahl.org | ICQ: 11191999